Becoming a Facilitator
Being a CYL Facilitator is an incredible professional development experience—a chance to further your own leadership skills by engaging the minds and hearts of the next generation of co‑operative leaders.
ADVANCE YOUR CAREER WHILE SHAPING TOMORROW'S YOUNG LEADERS: BECOME A CYL FACILITATOR
Being a CYL Facilitator is an incredible professional development experience for adults – a chance to further your own leadership skills by engaging the minds and hearts of the next generation of co-operative leaders, while also networking with an amazing team of up to 40 other co-operators from across the province.
CYL provides its Facilitators with opportunities to build their co-op knowledge, and enhance presentation and communication skills -- which will also benefit their career paths. They will emerge with new leadership abilities and the kind of team-building experience rarely found in an office.
KEY 2018 DATES FOR FACILITATORS
Online registration will open February 28, 2018
Facilitators must also possess a valid police record check for vulnerable sectors prior to the training session. Keep in mind this can take several weeks to obtain and it is best to start early.
ABOUT CYL FACILITATORS
- This year, approximately 20-25 adults will be accepted as facilitators with the CYL program. These people have diverse backgrounds and skill sets, but share a common passion for working in the co-operative sector along with engaging and working with youth.
- Facilitators are volunteers. They often take time away from their jobs to attend—or their employer will allow them to count their volunteerism as part of the organization’s community involvement or corporate sponsorship of the CYL program.
- Graduates of the CYL program are encouraged to apply. Recent graduates may be invited to return to CYL as Intern Facilitators.
- Facilitators must abide by the same Code of Conduct as participants.
- The number of Facilitators required for CYL is calculated based on the number of program weeks, the number of participants and the resources required for training, ongoing development and food/accommodation while on-site.
"As a facilitator, CYL continues to fill me with awe as I watch youth transform in one short week. Over the past six years I have worked with our youth and seen the changes take place; I have seen the unsure step forward; I have seen the loner group; I have seen the uncaring move to compassion, and I have seen the sure add empathy. I go and facilitate and always come away with life lessons taught to me by our youth. It is an experience for our youth and our facilitators. " Michael B., Facilitator
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A CYL FACILITATOR POSITION:
- You must be 16 years of age or older (includes Interns)
- Reliability and accountability are important for the role.
- All new and intern facilitator applicants must participate in an interview with the CYL selection committee.
- All facilitators must attend a mandatory training session May 25-26, 2018
- All facilitators will require a record check or police vulnerable persons search to be completed by your local police department.
- All facilitators must be aware of their roles and responsibilities and sign the facilitator contract and other paperwork.
- OCA reserves the right not to accept applicants, even after completing facilitator training.
Due to the large number of Facilitator applications received, OCA regrets that not all applicants can be accommodated during the summer CYL sessions. Other opportunities for participating in the CYL, All 4 Each and other youth engagement activities are available - talk to us about the options.
FACILITATOR TRAINING PROGRAM
CYL provides its Facilitators with opportunities to build their presentation, communication and group-dynamics skills. Faciliators learn more about the co-operative movement, and gain insights into other co-operative sectors and best-practises. You will emerge with new leadership abilities, with the kind of team-building experience rarely found in an office and the confidence born from making a tangible difference in the lives of others.
A series of Facilitator webinars and a training weekend will build on your knowledge, experience and get you energized for the upcoming CYL season. Dates for the 2018 sessions TBD.
IMPORTANT: The CYL 101 webinar is mandatory for all first-year & intern facilitators. The Facilitation and Communication webinar and the Conflict Resolution webinar are mandatory for all facilitators. If you are unable to attend a webinar, you must watch a recording and score 85% or higher on a questionnaire. Facilitators must attend the training session.