Co-op Links & Resources
On this page you will find links to other co-operative associations at the international, national, provincial, and regional levels (including language and sector specific umbrella organizations). You will also find links to important co-op reports, resources, tools, promotional/ informative videos, and resources specifically tailored for youth. Email us (contact below) if you know of a great resource we've missed, or if you have questions about co-op development.
- Provincial Co-operative Associations
- Canadian Co-operative Links
- Canadian Economic Development Links
- International Links
- Government Links
- Sector or Regional Umbrella Organizations
- Co-operative Research & Education Links
- Co-op Resource Links
- Reports & Documents
- Co-op Youth
- Informative and Promotional Videos & Visuals
- Co-ops in the Media
PROVINCIAL CO-OPERATIVE ASSOCIATIONS
- Alberta Community & Co-op Association
- British Columbia Co-operative Association
- Ontario Co-operative Association
Conseil de la cooperation de l'Ontario
- Conseil de la cooperation du Quebec
- Manitoba Co-operative Association
Consiel de developpement economique des municipalites bilingues du Manitoba
- New Brunswick Co-operative Enterprise Council
- Nova Scotia Co-operative Council
Conseil cooperative acadien de la Nouvelle-Ecosse
- Saskatchewan Co-operative Association
conseil de la cooperation de la Saskatchewan
- Prince Edward Island Co-operative Council
Conseil de developpement cooperative de l'ile-du-Prince-Edouard
- Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of Co-operatives
- Artic Co-operatives Ltd.
CANADIAN CO-OPERATIVE LINKS
- The Canadian Co-operative Association (CCA). Canada's umbrella organization of anglophone co-operatives.
- le Conseil Canadien de la Cooperation et de la mutualité (CCCM). CCCM is the national association representing the francophone co-operative movement in Canada.
- Canadian Alternative Investment Co-operative an organization of religious communities who want to pool their resources in order to make investments that support positive social change and promote alternative economic structures.
- The Canadian Worker Co-operative Federation. Promoting co-op principles, democracy and worker ownership and control.
- Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada Devoted to providing co-operative housing information, specifically to Canadians.
- Credit Union Central of Canada The national trade association for the Canadian credit union system.
- Co-op Connection Retail Co-operatives in Western Canada
- Canadian and U.S. Food Co-op Directory Directory of North American food co-ops
- Local Food Plus. Canada's local sustainable food system organization.
CANADIAN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT LINKS
- The Canadian Community Economic Development Network (CED Net) a national, member-led organization commited to strengthening Canadian communites by creating economic opportunities that enhance social and environmental conditions.
- Canadian Centre for Community Renewal works with communities to increase their resilience and self-reliance, especially their capacity to to equitably meet their needs for food, energy, finance and shelter in the face of modern transitions (particularly climate change and peak oil)
- The Canadian Social Economy Hub acts as a facilitator promoting collaboration among six regional research centres across Canada while creating opportunities and exchanges with international networks.
- .coop. Register for .coop domain name
- International Co-operative Alliance (ICA). ICA is an independent, non-governmental association which unites, represents and serves co-operatives worldwide
- International Health Co-operative Association International umbrella organization for health co-operatives - associated with ICA
- ICA Housing International umbrella organization for housing co-operatives - associated with ICA
- Mondragon Corporacion Cooperative (Spain) Particularly successful co-operative business group.
- The Co-operative (UK) Particularly successful co-operative business.
- National Co-operative Business Association American trade association for co-operatives.
- U.S. Federation of Worker Co-operatives American federation for worker co-operatives.
- National Credit Union Association American independent federal agency that regulates, charters and supervises federal credit unions.
- Co-operative Communicators Association American association of professions who communicate for co-operatives.
- National Society of Accountants for Co-operatives American society of accounting professionals involved with the financial planning and management of co-operatives.
- European Community of Consumer Co-operatives Non-governmental organization that makes it's expertise available to all European institutions for the promotion of the interests of consumer co-operatives and their consumer-members.
- Overseas Co-operative Development Council A group of nine American co-operative development organizations that work to lift people in developing countries from poverty through income development, food security and democracy building.
- Plunkett Foundation The Plunkett Foundation helps rural communities through community-ownership to take control of the issues affecting them.
- Canada Cooperatives Act the legislation co-operatives are subject to federally.
- Co-operatives Secretariat of the Government of Canada. Co-ordinates the interaction between government and the co-operative sector.
- Statistics Canada contains useful information for the co-operative sector.
- Canada Business Network Resources for small businesses.
- Industry Canada the ministry that houses the co-operatives secretariat.
- Finance Canada regulates federally incorporated co-operatives.
- Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Canada's national housing agency. Works with civil society, the private sector and all levels of government to create innovative solutions to today's housing challenges, anticipate future needs and improve the quality of life for all Canadians.
- Community Futures Development Corporations in Ontario agency of the federal government that ofeer a wide variety of programs and services supporting community economic development and small business growth.
- Co-operative Corporations Act the legislation co-operatives are subject to in Ontario.
- Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) the branch of the Ministry of Finance responsible for the regulation of co-operatives.
- Small Business Enterprise Centres (SBEC) agency of the provincial government with resources and information for established and developing small businesses.
Provincial Funding Opportunities
SECTOR OR REGIONAL UMBRELLA ORGANIZATIONS
- Central 1 Credit Union Trade association for Ontario & BC Credit Unions
- Ontario Non-Profit Network Not-for-profit co-ops welcome.
- Local Organic Food Co-op Network Resources and news for existing and developing food co-operatives, co-operatively working towards a sustainable food system.
- Ontario Natural Food Coop Ontario's leading natural and organic food distributor.
- Partners in Green Project. Resources and strategies for greening your co-op's or business' operations, based out of Peel Region in Ontario
- Co-operative Housing Federation of Toronto. Regional network of housing co-operatives.
- Central Ontario Co-operative Housing Federation (COCHF). Regional network of housing co-operatives.
- Co-operative Housing Association of Eastern Ontario (CHASEO). Regional network of housing co-operatives.
- Golden Horseshoe Co-operative Housing Federation. Regional network of housing co-operatives.
- Federation des Cooperatives Funeraires du Quebec the umbrella organization for funeral co-operatives in Quebec-- can be accessed in English.
CO-OPERATIVE RESEARCH AND EDUCATION LINKS
- Canadian Co-operative Research Network. More than 1,300 papers and citations. Fully searchable and with links to additional resources.
- Industry Canada's Co-operative Reports and Research Archive
- The Social Economy Centre of the University of Toronto promotes and disseminates multidisciplinary research and policy analysis on issues affecting the social economy.
- The Canadian Association for Studies in Co-operation (CASC) a network of researchers whose work involves co-operatives. CASC develops and promotes research on co-operatives in Canada and facilitates linkages with other organizations.
- The Centre for the Study of Co-operatives at the University of Saskatchewan an interdisciplinary teaching and research institute dedicated to the role and operation of co-operatives.
- The Society for Co-operative Studies, an independent, voluntary organization based in the United Kingdom that is registered as a charity. The society seeks to commission, identify and publish research on the co-operative movement; to advance the education of members and the public on all aspects of the co-operative movement; and promote the exchange of information and experience.
- The Centre for Co-operative and Community-Based Economy at the University of Victoria for the promotion of interdisciplinary research and learning on subjects related to co-operative and community-based economy engaging academics, students and members of the wider community.
- Center for Co-operatives at the University of Wisconsin-Madison fostering critical thinking and understanding about co-operatives.
- Coady International Institute at St. Francis Xavier University equips student leaders and development professionals around the world to address contemporary global challenges and opportunities through a community-based approach.
- Centre for Co-operative Studies at the University of College Cork promotes, through its research, consultancy and and educational activities; the continued growth of the co-operative movement as an effective, locally-owned and democratically-controlled sector of the economy; and that co-ops are suited to address the urgent needs and problems of the community.
- Filene Institute The Filene Research Institute is dedicated to scientific and thoughtful analysis about issues affecting the future of consumer finance and credit unions.
- Co-operatives Research Unit CRU has nearly 30 years of experience in research, training, consultancy and publications related to co-operatives, social enterprise and other organisations in the social economy.
- The Co-operative College A unique educational institution providing world class learning programs and research to support the development of a successful and diverse co-operative sector.
- Centre of Excellence in Accounting and Reporting for Co-operatives (CEARC) at St. Mary’s University The Centre of Excellence provides a focal point for research into issues about how accounting and reporting systems should best be designed to fit the unique nature of co-operative businesses around the world.
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Research and Information on collective enterprises CIRIEC-Canada brings together academics (professors, researchers and students) and any other person, association, company, institution or organization concerned with public companies, cooperatives and social. It is one of the few intersections exchange and consultation on the way to a more inclusive economy, concerned both democracy and efficiency, equality and equity, short term and long term. It is also a place of knowledge transfer, a source of linkage between research and users.
- Quentin Burdick Center for Cooperatives at North Dakota State University Conducts, promotes and coordinates university education and research on cooperatives, strengthens cooperatives' operation and works toward expanding employment and economic opportunities through cooperatives.
- Measuring the Co-operative Difference Research Network Led by the CCA in partnership with four Canadian universities (St. Mary's, Mount Saint Vincent, USask and UVic), the Network is funded for a five-year term by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) . The Network is committed to conducting research on the social, economic and environmental impact of co-operatives on Canadians and their communities.
- Italian Association of Co-operative Studies A place of research and debate at the service of the cooperative culture and its initiatives, aimed at promoting the value of mutuality, deepening the study of cooperative entrepreneurship and disseminating knowledge.
- Institut für Genossenschaftswesen explores the designs, management, causes, effects and state regulation requirements of co-operatives through research, teaching and practice transfer.
- Association of Co-operative Educators (ACE) strengthening co-operatives and the co-operative movement by promoting innovative educational responses to social and economic changes.
- Co-operative Learning Centre a collaborative online resource for co-operatives, co-op educators and researchers worldwide.
- Co-operative Management Certificate Program a 6-month, part-time integrated certificate in co-operative management from York University's Schulich School of Business in partnership with the Ontario Co-operative Association.
- Management of Co-operatives and Credit Unions (masters degree or a graduate diploma) from St. Mary's University's Sobey School of Business.
CO-OP RESOURCE LINKS
- Cultivate.coop. A wiki dedicated to gathering co-op knowledge and resources.
- CoopZone provides tools, co-op development resources and advice on starting and growing co-operatives.
- Co-op Tools Insight into deliberative democracy, participatory governance, flat organization models and large group decision-making techniques.
- Co-op Housing Bookstore provides educational materials to help housing co-ops in their day-to-day management and in building stronger communities.
- Northcounty Co-operative Foundation Helping transform lives and communities through co-operative enterprise.
- CCA Social Media Resources archive of webinars and other media.
- Co-op Canada Accelerator was established in the 2012 International Year of Cooperatives to help nudge the Canadian cooperative movement front and centre in the new economy.
REPORTS & DOCUMENTS
- Industry Canada's Co-operative Reports and Research Archive
- ICA Blueprint. A plan for the co-operative decade.
- ICA Global 300 Report. A look at the top 300 co-ops world-wide.
- Resilience of the Co-operative Business Model in Times of Crisis. An evaluative report by the International Labour Organization (ILO)
- The Greenhouse Co-operative Ltd. - Business Succession in Rural Communities Case Study
- Carefrce Home Care - Business Succession in Rural Communities Case Study
- Co-operative Sustainability Scorecard
- Health Care Co-ops in Canada and around the World. Written by Jean-Pierre Girard of Université du Québec à Montréal, who has been a member of the International Health Co-operative Organization (filiated with ICA) for the past 10 years.
- Immigrant and Refugee Co-operatives in Canada. A discussion paper on the role that co-operatives can play in improving the socio-economic experience of immigrants and refugees to Canada
- The Co-operative Movement and the Social Economy. A research paper investigating the impacts of Quebec's co-opertives and mutual aid organizations.
- Battle of the Banks A report card of the products and services Canadian banks offer small businesses-- credit unions come out on top!
- Jeunes Coopérateurs / Young Co-operators. A group established to help promote Co-ops and Credit Unions to the youth of Canada.
- Young & Free Ontario. An online effort to give the 17-to-25 crowd in southwestern Ontario a voice, a head start and useful information regarding credit unions.
- Zippitydodog. Financial information for youth, from Nelson & District Credit Union in BC.
- Co-ops for Students. Helpful links from CHF for finding co-op housing at Canadian universities.
- Summer Company. Go beyond your typical summer jobs: turn your ideas into a buiness.
- Canadian Youth Business Foundation (CYBF). A a national non-profit organization dedicated to growing our nation’s economy one young entrepreneur at a time.
- North American Students of Co-operation (NASCO). a family of associations who organize and educate affordable group equity co-ops and their members for the purpose of promoting a community oriented cooperative movement.
- CCA National Young Co-operators. National committee that aims to represent the interests of young and future co-operators through recommendations, programs and services.
- Co-operative Young Leaders (CYL) is a summer experience for high school students where they can learn about and practice commincation and leadership through co-operative activities.
INFORMATIVE AND PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS & VISUALS
- Growing Good Food Ideas. A series of videos about Ontarians changing the future of food.
- IYC Short Film Festival Winners. Seven great videos on co-operatives from around the world.
- Bankerspank. A series of videos starring a bank, a credit union, and general hilarity.
- May Day Explained: an overlooked milestone in the fight for workers rights. A series of videos explaining a key, but little-known history.
- Co-ops Rock. A short visual introduction to co-ops, and why you should care about them.
- My Co-op Rocks. A video contest for co-op members in the United States to demonstrate the many reasons their co-ops rock.
- Sustain Ontario. A video archive regarding the transformation of our food system.
- Co-op Main St. An interactive module from CCA to introduce the co-op model in theory and practice.
- The Co-operative Revolution. An animated, online graphic novel describing the history of the movement.
- Growtest. A video archive regarding food security issues.
- On Co-op Youtube Channel. A video archive regarding the broader co-operative sector in Ontario.
- CCA Cinema. A video archive regarding the Canadian co-operative sector and as well as international activities.
- The Co-operative Youtube Channel. A video archive about the UK co-operative sector and the history of the co-operative movement.
- Co-op Communication Youtube Channel A video archive regarding the co-operative sector from a communicator's perspective.
- Libro Money School A video archive that gives free advice and education on a variety of financial topics.
Visuals of Note
- There is an alternative video introduction to co-operatives
- Co-operative Housing: More than just a Home video
- What's to love about Food Co-ops video
- What's to love about Food Co-ops infographic
- Buying local is worth every cent infographic
- How Worker Co-operatives Work video
- Annual avergage costs of owning a Car infographic
- What can a Credit Union do for me? video
- A Cure for Hard Times? The Newfoundland-Labrador Federation of Co-operatives video
- Evergreen Co-operatives video case study of community renewal
- The Four Co-operative Models CCA Prezi
- Comparing co-op and corporate food supply chains flowchart
- Summarizing the Co-operative Decade Blueprint video interview with Charles Gould
- Where does your money go? flowchart exposing the conglomerates behind popular food and household brands
- The New Pioneers. video, brief history of the Rochdale Pioneers and the co-opoerative movement until The Co-operative (UK) incorporation.
- Co-ops: A Closed Loop Model. video distinguishing co-ops from their corporate counterparts.
- It's in Our Name. video explaining co-operative insurance companies from The Co-operators.
- Co-operation is International. video from IYC, brief look at co-operatives around the world.
- Celebrating 2012. video celebrating the International Year of Co-operatives.
- Just the Facts: What's so good about Co-ops? Infographic on food co-ops and credit unions.
- Promoting Worker Ownership Among Youth powerpoint
- Organizing and Educating Youth for Worker Ownership powerpoint
- The Difference Between Banks and Credit Unions, part 1, part 2, and part 3
- Big Bank Therapy-- a fiesty credit union commercial
- Dr. David Suzuki on why he works with co-operatives - video
- Canada Rural Economy Research Lab Maps Co-operatives across Canada - maps and graphics
- Move Your Money video from the credit union campaign in the U.S.
- Average Annual Cost of Owning a Car (infographic) motivation to use a car share
- What is a Credit Union? short animated video from the Credit Unions of BC
- The Co-operators Celebrates Sustainability Recognition short video discussing th Co-operator's CSR inititatives after they were declared one of Maclean's top 50 socially responsible companies in Canada
- Inequality is... an interactive online adventure that teaches the user about income equality, its causes and possible solutions
- Niagara Penninsula Homes an introduction to the co-op and their successes up until their award for excellence in co-operative enterprise (video)
- Guelph Campus Co-op- 100 years an exploration of GCC's history, accomplishments, future projects and successes (video)
- To Make a Farm an award-winning Canadian documentary that explores the lives of five young people who have decided to become small-scale farmers
- Setting the Solar Story Straight an infographic on the improving trajectory of solar power as it surpasses more traditional mediums like coal
CO-OPS IN THE MEDIA
- Vancouver: The land where Credit Unions are King. According to this article in the Vancouver Sun, Vancouver residents are less likely than Toronto residents to trust big banks -- and more likely to trust credit unions.
- Co-operating out of Crime. An innovative co-op in Manchester, UK helps teach offenders the benefits of working co-operatively.
- Fair Trade Funerals. The Co-operative Group in the United Kingdom is working in partnership with a Fair Trade organization to source fairly-traded coffins for its funeral service.
- From Occupation to Co-operation. In Austin, TX, a co-op think tank is looking at developing co-ops to answer questions raised by the Occupy Movement.
- Canada's Co-operative Movement is on the Rise from Rabble.ca
- Financial Co-operative Prove Resilience During Crisis from the ICA
- Project Aiming to Create Sustainable Co-ops in Aboriginal Communities from ACCA
- Massive Outporing of Customer Support Saves Come As You Are from Torontoist
- The New Green: Co-operative Business Model Rules the Year from Daily Campus
- A Blow to Small Town Sask the Star Pheonix on the recent federal budget's impact on credit unions
- Ethiopian Farming Co-ops begin Record Food Delivery to UN for National Relief Efforts from UN News Centre
- The Economy: Under New Ownership from YES! Magazine on how co-operatives are leading the way to empowered workers and healthy communities
- Meridian Credit Union App offers Cheque Deposit by Phone from TorontoStar
- Car Share looking to pull into Guelph from Guelph Mercury
- Ottawa Energy Co-op Connects Third Project to Grid from Ottawa Citizen
- Co-operators General Insurance adding up to 25 jobs in Moncton from New Brunswick Office of the Premier
- Own a Piece of our region's Renewable Energy future with Wintergreen Co-op from Kingston EMC
- ACU Recognized as Provincial Leader on Climate Change, Air Quality and Energy Efficiency from Assiniboine News Room
- Increased Income Taxes for Credit Unions from Credit Union Central of Canada
- Successful Co-op Ed Program seeking Partners from ACCA
- Credit Unions get Feisty with Big Six Banks from the Globe and Mail
- Toonie free-for-all in Downtown Halifax from News 95.7
- Cycling for Co-operatives co-operative travel and food blog
- Why Canada needs more Community Power from rabble.ca
- Renewables to make up to 1/4 of World's Energy by 2013 from CBC
- ILO Director General backs Co-operatives as Alternative to Austerity from ICA
- The Alarming Decline of Housing Affordability from Globe & Mail
- Doctors urge Province to ramp-up Renewable Energy from Toronto Star
- Student Housing with a Difference from Guelph Tribune
- International Co-op Day (the resilience of the model) from CBC information morning in Cape Breton
- Program puts Produce on your Plate on Eat Local Sudbury Co-operative in the Sudbury Star
- International Co-op Day with the Ottawa Cluster on CTV